Well, I've been gone long enough, but I'm finally getting around to updating my blog. The past few weeks have been very busy and I want to show you readers what I've been up to.
If you've done any research on DIY vanities or cheap vanities I'm sure you won't be surprised or even mildly amused, but for those who are new to the vanity world here's my new baby:
I'm very happy with how it turned out! Of course I've always imagined myself getting a more complex vanity, but I value practicality over aesthetics when it comes to my makeup storage. In my vanity I used:
- IKEA Malm Dresser
- IKEA Kolja Mirror
- 2 x Hampton Bay Vanity Lights
- Various Organizers and cups and such from Marshalls or Winners
I considered getting a smaller vanity, but I really wanted to store all my makeup in one easy and convenient place. I also really value good lighting when it comes to proper makeup application. I've had way too many incidents of wearing way too much blush because I did my makeup in near darkness.
To my surprise, the vanity lights did not come with plugs. All the vanity lights I looked at are designed to be wall mounted in the bathroom where there's typically wires coming out from the wall for you to connect to your light switch. I did some DIY hacking and connected the 2 lights to an extension cord which I then plugged into a remote switch. All I have to do now is flip the switch and voila, perfect vanity lighting.
The contents of the rest of my room:
- IKEA low Malm bed frame
- IKEA Rigga clothing rack
- IKEA Knapper mirror
- IKEA Billy Book case
- Side table I refinished with cream chalk paint
- Wicker stool I refinished with white spray paint
The heavy orange curtains were included in the house. I'm considering switching them out for something more airy to match the feel of the rest of my room. However, I still want them to be heavy enough to block out sunlight in the morning. I'll get back to you guys on the matter as soon as I find a solution.
I'm also quite pleased with the bedding! I got it all from the Lauren Conrad bedding collection from Kohl's during a huge sale and I had a coupon for it too! I really liked the look of a floating bed so I opted for the low IKEA Malm in white for the frame.
If you haven't already guessed, I'm trying to keep my room fairly thrifty because I think my taste is constantly changing and I don't want to be married to a part of my room just because of a heavy price tag. I think the focus of my room right now is to be calm, minimal and feminine. Now that I have the bare bones of my room down I think I should inject some more personality and life into it. I have plans to hang up some cards and photos that I have, but I haven't really thought of how yet.
Some pieces I still want to add:
- Curtains
- Gallery wall
- Bedside lamp
- Ghost chair for vanity
- Small fluffy rug for vanity area / beside my bed
Thanks for tuning in kitties! If you have any questions about my room or how I set things up leave a comment. If you have any interesting decorating ideas please let me know! I'll be back with a beauty post soon. I have a fun makeup tutorial lined up so make sure you subscribe. <3
You are Sonia from Maplerawr correct?
ReplyDeleteYes I am! How did you know?
ReplyDeleteI loved your guys' videos haha. Do you still keep in touch with Ana and Sharon?
DeleteSorry for the delayed response. We all went our own ways after HS and they're doing well :). It was fun while it lasted!
ReplyDeleteHow is the IKEA Knapper mirror and Rigga clothes rack? Are they sturdy? I've been looking for a sturdy standing mirror and rack for a long time.
ReplyDeleteHey! The knapper is nice and sturdy. The rigga shifts a little but it holds my clothes well.
ReplyDelete